PHOENIX — First responders are urging Valley residents to heed signs and warnings given by their body that extreme heat and lack of water has put them in the danger zone.
“Dehydration can lead to irreversible health issues. Kidney failure could happen,” said Mesa Fire Captain Forrest Smith.
Currently, Mesa firefighters are responding to approximately 12 heat-related calls daily.
There are some symptoms to look for, including a lack of sweat, red skin turning pale, dizziness, nausea and disorientation.
“If you see someone in distress, get them into a cool environment quickly and have them sip small amounts of water. Call 911,” said Smith.
First responders are also encouraging residents to keep tabs on the elderly in their community. Check in on them and make sure they have a working cooling system and they have plenty of water to drink.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food