PHOENIX — On the one-year anniversary of the first House vote to deport DREAMers, advocates nationwide held simultaneous demonstrations targeting 27 House Republicans in their home districts, including the Gilbert, Ariz. office of U.S. Rep. Matt Salmon.
The goal was to urge lawmakers to act and to remind key Republicans “what’s at stake for them and their party if they continue to block a vote on immigration reform.”
At the Gilbert protest, a group of nearly two dozen carried signs and peacefully marched into the politician’s office and were met by Salmon’s staff members, who listened to their concerns. The protesters did not speak with the Salmon, but say they hope the message gets to him.
“I’m scared sometimes, that they’ll take my parents away and I’ll be here alone,” said a 9-year-old United States citizen, who participated in the demonstration.
“We need comprehensive immigration reform which would include a pathway to citizenship,” said another demonstrator who did not wish to be named. “I want to serve in the Marine Corps and I can’t. I want to make this country a better place.”
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments