PHOENIX — On the one-year anniversary of the first House vote to deport DREAMers, advocates nationwide held simultaneous demonstrations targeting 27 House Republicans in their home districts, including the Gilbert, Ariz. office of U.S. Rep. Matt Salmon.
The goal was to urge lawmakers to act and to remind key Republicans “what’s at stake for them and their party if they continue to block a vote on immigration reform.”
At the Gilbert protest, a group of nearly two dozen carried signs and peacefully marched into the politician’s office and were met by Salmon’s staff members, who listened to their concerns. The protesters did not speak with the Salmon, but say they hope the message gets to him.
“I’m scared sometimes, that they’ll take my parents away and I’ll be here alone,” said a 9-year-old United States citizen, who participated in the demonstration.
“We need comprehensive immigration reform which would include a pathway to citizenship,” said another demonstrator who did not wish to be named. “I want to serve in the Marine Corps and I can’t. I want to make this country a better place.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon