PHOENIX — Extreme heat and bad tires could mean disaster on Valley freeways during an excessive heat warning, according to a Valley auto expert.
When temperatures are in the low 100s, freeways in the Valley can reach twice that, said Matt Allen with News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bumper to Bumper Radio.
“If you took a thermometer and went out and checked the temperature of the asphalt, it’s probably well over 200 degrees,” he said.
Allen said the heat can easily cause a blowout if a car has worn tires.
There are easy ways to check if car tires are ready for the heat using only a quarter, Allen said.
“You stick the quarter, head down, into the deepest part of the tread depth of the tire and measure,” he said. “If you can see the top of Washington’s head there, your tires are worn out.”
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them