PHOENIX — Extreme heat and bad tires could mean disaster on Valley freeways during an excessive heat warning, according to a Valley auto expert.
When temperatures are in the low 100s, freeways in the Valley can reach twice that, said Matt Allen with News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bumper to Bumper Radio.
“If you took a thermometer and went out and checked the temperature of the asphalt, it’s probably well over 200 degrees,” he said.
Allen said the heat can easily cause a blowout if a car has worn tires.
There are easy ways to check if car tires are ready for the heat using only a quarter, Allen said.
“You stick the quarter, head down, into the deepest part of the tread depth of the tire and measure,” he said. “If you can see the top of Washington’s head there, your tires are worn out.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier