PHOENIX — Extreme heat and bad tires could mean disaster on Valley freeways during an excessive heat warning, according to a Valley auto expert.
When temperatures are in the low 100s, freeways in the Valley can reach twice that, said Matt Allen with News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bumper to Bumper Radio.
“If you took a thermometer and went out and checked the temperature of the asphalt, it’s probably well over 200 degrees,” he said.
Allen said the heat can easily cause a blowout if a car has worn tires.
There are easy ways to check if car tires are ready for the heat using only a quarter, Allen said.
“You stick the quarter, head down, into the deepest part of the tread depth of the tire and measure,” he said. “If you can see the top of Washington’s head there, your tires are worn out.”
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life