PHOENIX — After the alleged mismanagement of care at the Phoenix VA, the American Legion opening up a veterans crisis center.
The crisis center will open its doors on Monday at 7 p.m. in a town hall style meeting, where vets can come and talk about their problems and experiences at the Phoenix VA, said Director Verna Jones of the Legion’s Veteran Affairs.
“We’re going to have a town hall meeting on Monday night and have veterans come out and talk to us about any of (the) correspondence they receive back from the VA — where they are, how they feel about it…just making sure they understand we’re still here to support them,” she said.
On Tuesday at noon, Jones said vets can come in and begin getting help from the services they’ll be providing.
“The person will walk in (and) we’ll be able to triage that veteran: Find out why they’re there, what they need,” Jones said. “We’ll also guide them to (the) on-site avenues and resources that we have.”
Jones said some of those resources will include grief counseling, help enrolling in veteran benefit programs and help with filing benefit claims if they’ve experienced a lack of care at the VA.
The crisis center will open at Post 1 of the American Legion, located at 364 N. 7th Avenue in Phoenix.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever