PHOENIX — After the alleged mismanagement of care at the Phoenix VA, the American Legion opening up a veterans crisis center.
The crisis center will open its doors on Monday at 7 p.m. in a town hall style meeting, where vets can come and talk about their problems and experiences at the Phoenix VA, said Director Verna Jones of the Legion’s Veteran Affairs.
“We’re going to have a town hall meeting on Monday night and have veterans come out and talk to us about any of (the) correspondence they receive back from the VA — where they are, how they feel about it…just making sure they understand we’re still here to support them,” she said.
On Tuesday at noon, Jones said vets can come in and begin getting help from the services they’ll be providing.
“The person will walk in (and) we’ll be able to triage that veteran: Find out why they’re there, what they need,” Jones said. “We’ll also guide them to (the) on-site avenues and resources that we have.”
Jones said some of those resources will include grief counseling, help enrolling in veteran benefit programs and help with filing benefit claims if they’ve experienced a lack of care at the VA.
The crisis center will open at Post 1 of the American Legion, located at 364 N. 7th Avenue in Phoenix.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.