PHOENIX — A lot of people work at a job that has them sitting at a desk or cubicle eight hours a day — but some people are changing that.
By getting desks that allow them to stand and do their job, they’re improving their health and the way they feel.
Dawn Paugh, national sales manager for KTAR, is one of them. She’s at her desk a lot.
“Most everything I do is on the phone or email, so it’s pretty much a desk-bound position,” said Paugh.
She developed some back problems because of traveling last year and had back surgery in April. She now uses a desk where she can stand and still do her work.
“This desk is something that our IT department ‘jimmied’ for me,” Paugh said. “But if you go online, you can find all sorts of standing/sitting desk set-ups.”
She said that something a friend once said to her was another reason she decided to try a standing desk.
“I have a friend that says that ‘Sitting is the new smoking.'”
Paradise Valley cardiologist Dr. Jack Wolfson said that sentiment is exactly right.
“Sitting increases the risk of high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes, cholesterol…the list goes on and on,” Wolfson said. “In fact, those people who sit longer than six hours a day have a 20 percent higher death rate than those who sit three hours or less.”
Wolfson has also decided to stand more to improve his health and to set an example for others. He is having a $2,000 standing desk installed in his office. It will allow him to stand while he consults patients and does other duties at his job.
He’s also trying to stand more during other situations.
“Whenever I’m on the phone, I’m standing,” Wolfson said. “Often times my wife will get frustrated with me, because instead of sitting for dinner, I like to stand at dinner.”
Both Paugh and Wolfson said that standing while they work gives them more energy, but Paugh has a word of caution.
“It is hard on the legs,” she said. “At the end of the day, it starts to wear on me. I think that the perfect combination is some sort of combo of sitting and standing.”
Wolfson said that if you do have to sit for long periods while at work, make sure that you get up and walk around at least once an hour.
Several examples of standing desks can be found at NextDesks.com.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever