PHOENIX — Summer weather is settling into the Valley, and higher power bills are likely to follow for residents.
Claire Felix, a spokeswoman for utility company Salt River Project, said customers should determine which pricing plan they’re on and make changes accordingly, to save money.
Savings come with plans that limit the power usage at certain times of day.
“SRP has four different options and two of them are time- of-day options. This means people would switch usage to off-peak hours to save money. Our representatives can look at your bill and decide which plan is the best one for you and your lifestyle.
“Another option is based on income and how many people live in the home and that offers a $21 discount in the summertime. We can set up plans that coincide with when people get paid and we have budget billing, which averages out the bill for the entire year so they’re paying a predictable amount so you don’t have a high summer bill and low winter bill.”
Summetime power bills puts the squeeze on low-income families struggling from paycheck to paycheck. Felix said there are options available to get them through the heat by calling Just call 602-236-9600.
Felix advised not waiting a $400 bill.
As for other steps to cutting the power bill, switch out light bulbs to energy-saving CFLs and LEDs, buy weather stripping and put it around windows and doors, and add shade screens, for which SRP offers a rebate.
Finally, keep the thermostat set to 78-80 degrees when the house is occupied and about 82 degrees when no one is home.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas