PHOENIX — Summer weather is settling into the Valley, and higher power bills are likely to follow for residents.
Claire Felix, a spokeswoman for utility company Salt River Project, said customers should determine which pricing plan they’re on and make changes accordingly, to save money.
Savings come with plans that limit the power usage at certain times of day.
“SRP has four different options and two of them are time- of-day options. This means people would switch usage to off-peak hours to save money. Our representatives can look at your bill and decide which plan is the best one for you and your lifestyle.
“Another option is based on income and how many people live in the home and that offers a $21 discount in the summertime. We can set up plans that coincide with when people get paid and we have budget billing, which averages out the bill for the entire year so they’re paying a predictable amount so you don’t have a high summer bill and low winter bill.”
Summetime power bills puts the squeeze on low-income families struggling from paycheck to paycheck. Felix said there are options available to get them through the heat by calling Just call 602-236-9600.
Felix advised not waiting a $400 bill.
As for other steps to cutting the power bill, switch out light bulbs to energy-saving CFLs and LEDs, buy weather stripping and put it around windows and doors, and add shade screens, for which SRP offers a rebate.
Finally, keep the thermostat set to 78-80 degrees when the house is occupied and about 82 degrees when no one is home.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon