PHOENIX — The search for a missing hiker at Camelback Mountain ended Tuesday morning after another hourslong hunt came up empty.
Dozens of people had scoured the mountain for a third day looking for Eric Fernandes, 23, of Seattle, who was last seen Saturday. He had told his father and friends he was going hiking.
“We have covered the area we can physically cover by foot,” Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump said. “It is an overwhelming task that isn’t ending how we wanted it to.”
Helicopters were also employed in the search, which had also stopped Monday because of the excessive heat. Temperatures reached around 110 degrees. The Valley was expecting more extreme heat this week.
Fernandes came to the Valley with his father, Max, who reported him missing Sunday. His car was found at the Echo Canyon trailhead later that day.
A group of park rangers, volunteers, police officers and firefighters searched for Fernandes. His two brothers, who arrived from Seattle on Monday evening, joined the search.
Max Fernandes said he was told that his son had been seen on the mountain Saturday and was described as disoriented.
Police were also anxious to speak with a man who was seen with Fernandes at a sporting goods store.
Unknown person last seen with missing 23-year old hiker Eric Fernandes. Any information contact Phoenix Police. pic.twitter.com/3jNJMHPcFI
— Phoenix Police (@phoenixpolice) June 2, 2014
KTAR’S Jim Cross and the Associated Press contributed to article.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food