PHOENIX — The search for a missing hiker at Camelback Mountain ended Tuesday morning after another hourslong hunt came up empty.
Dozens of people had scoured the mountain for a third day looking for Eric Fernandes, 23, of Seattle, who was last seen Saturday. He had told his father and friends he was going hiking.
“We have covered the area we can physically cover by foot,” Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump said. “It is an overwhelming task that isn’t ending how we wanted it to.”
Helicopters were also employed in the search, which had also stopped Monday because of the excessive heat. Temperatures reached around 110 degrees. The Valley was expecting more extreme heat this week.
Fernandes came to the Valley with his father, Max, who reported him missing Sunday. His car was found at the Echo Canyon trailhead later that day.
A group of park rangers, volunteers, police officers and firefighters searched for Fernandes. His two brothers, who arrived from Seattle on Monday evening, joined the search.
Max Fernandes said he was told that his son had been seen on the mountain Saturday and was described as disoriented.
Police were also anxious to speak with a man who was seen with Fernandes at a sporting goods store.
Unknown person last seen with missing 23-year old hiker Eric Fernandes. Any information contact Phoenix Police. pic.twitter.com/3jNJMHPcFI
— Phoenix Police (@phoenixpolice) June 2, 2014
KTAR’S Jim Cross and the Associated Press contributed to article.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development