PHOENIX — The search for a missing hiker at Camelback Mountain ended Tuesday morning after another hourslong hunt came up empty.
Dozens of people had scoured the mountain for a third day looking for Eric Fernandes, 23, of Seattle, who was last seen Saturday. He had told his father and friends he was going hiking.
“We have covered the area we can physically cover by foot,” Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump said. “It is an overwhelming task that isn’t ending how we wanted it to.”
Helicopters were also employed in the search, which had also stopped Monday because of the excessive heat. Temperatures reached around 110 degrees. The Valley was expecting more extreme heat this week.
Fernandes came to the Valley with his father, Max, who reported him missing Sunday. His car was found at the Echo Canyon trailhead later that day.
A group of park rangers, volunteers, police officers and firefighters searched for Fernandes. His two brothers, who arrived from Seattle on Monday evening, joined the search.
Max Fernandes said he was told that his son had been seen on the mountain Saturday and was described as disoriented.
Police were also anxious to speak with a man who was seen with Fernandes at a sporting goods store.
Unknown person last seen with missing 23-year old hiker Eric Fernandes. Any information contact Phoenix Police. pic.twitter.com/3jNJMHPcFI
— Phoenix Police (@phoenixpolice) June 2, 2014
KTAR’S Jim Cross and the Associated Press contributed to article.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier