PHOENIX — If Acting Street Transportation Director Ray Dovalina gets his way, Phoenix drivers can say farewell to free metered parking on weekends and holidays — and even weeknights after 5 p.m.
As part of a downtown parking overhaul, Dovalina wants to extend enforcement hours to seven days a week, including holidays, from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
“We want to see turnover on a lot of these parking meters,” Dovalina said. “Because right now, what happens is after 5 (p.m.), anybody can come in and park in the parking meter and stay until the following day, and we don’t have any turnover.”
Dovalina said higher turnover will help downtown businesses attract more customers. They also anticipate more people using public and private parking garages as well as public transit.
Phoenix relied on its own research along with a December 2012 report by the city of San Francisco, which showed that among large cities, Phoenix was the only one that did not enforce metered parking on weekends.
The proposal also calls for eliminating the current $1.50 per hour rate and phasing in variable pricing, meaning rates would change based on demand. During slow periods, the rate could be as low as $0.50 per hour, while busier periods could cost drivers $6.00 an hour.
According to a city council report, the Street Transportation Department collected about $1.65 million in parking meter payments during the 2012-2013 fiscal year, which resulted in $1 million in net revenue. Based on preliminary estimates, the department thinks a variable rate plan and longer enforcement could generate an extra $1-2 million a year.
Expansion would require as many as 640 new meters that could accept credit cards and adjust to rate changes, four new workers to enforce longer hours and one manager to oversee the program.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas