PHOENIX — Overdue library books and DVDs could come back to haunt some Glendale residents.
The city council recently renewed a deal with a collection agency to track down people with overdue accounts.
“It’s basically stealing if you never return them,” said Chief Librarian Cheryl Kennedy. “And then you’re keeping them from other patrons being able to check them out.”
The city pays Unique Management Services Inc. $8.95 to pursue each overdue account. Kennedy said, in the last year, they submitted nearly 2,800 accounts and got back more than $110,000 in fines, fees and materials.
“For every $1 that we spend, we get back three-and-a-half times that,” she said.
Kennedy said the library will work out payment plans for anyone who owes more than $30.
She said DVDs are the most commonly kept items.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night