PHOENIX — Overdue library books and DVDs could come back to haunt some Glendale residents.
The city council recently renewed a deal with a collection agency to track down people with overdue accounts.
“It’s basically stealing if you never return them,” said Chief Librarian Cheryl Kennedy. “And then you’re keeping them from other patrons being able to check them out.”
The city pays Unique Management Services Inc. $8.95 to pursue each overdue account. Kennedy said, in the last year, they submitted nearly 2,800 accounts and got back more than $110,000 in fines, fees and materials.
“For every $1 that we spend, we get back three-and-a-half times that,” she said.
Kennedy said the library will work out payment plans for anyone who owes more than $30.
She said DVDs are the most commonly kept items.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food