PHOENIX — Overdue library books and DVDs could come back to haunt some Glendale residents.
The city council recently renewed a deal with a collection agency to track down people with overdue accounts.
“It’s basically stealing if you never return them,” said Chief Librarian Cheryl Kennedy. “And then you’re keeping them from other patrons being able to check them out.”
The city pays Unique Management Services Inc. $8.95 to pursue each overdue account. Kennedy said, in the last year, they submitted nearly 2,800 accounts and got back more than $110,000 in fines, fees and materials.
“For every $1 that we spend, we get back three-and-a-half times that,” she said.
Kennedy said the library will work out payment plans for anyone who owes more than $30.
She said DVDs are the most commonly kept items.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier