PHOENIX — The Phoenix Police Department has submitted a draft for city council consideration that would ultimately shrink the number of police precincts in the city and the number of patrol squads.
“What we are doing is shuffling resources in patrol,” said Sgt. Sean Mattson, president of a police union. “Patrol continues to be the biggest details that gets depleted the most and these are the folks that respond to 911. All we are doing is delaying the crash.”
A city council member provided KTAR with a few key points about what is being considered to restructure the department.
“Due to budgetary issues and increasing attrition levels our current eight precinct configuration is difficult to maintain. With the reduction of over 500 sworn employees our current squad sizes are reducing below adequate levels. In addition, in FY 2014 -2015, the department will lose an additional 66 sworn employees through known DROP retirements.”
Changes would include:
• The geographic squad areas will increase along with average squad size, and the number of patrol squads will be reduced from 132 to 114.
• All precincts will be full precincts and the half-precinct model will be eliminated. The eight-precinct configuration, which was adopted in 2010, will shrink to six precincts.
Police officers have said that the quality of service, the number of proactive crime-fighting details and the morale within the department is outrageous.
The most violent areas of the city do not have an adequate number of police personnel on the street and if a victim calls 911 and the call is not considered a priority, the resident often will have wait up to 12 hours or longer.
“I was in a meeting with a lieutenant and he had to break away from the meeting to address the fact that an assault victim had been waiting (at St. Joseph’s Hospital) for police for more than seven hours,” said Mattson.
“Last Monday, only two officers, who are responsible for patrolling half of the Maryvale precinct, showed up for briefing, we’ve been warning (city leaders) that this day was coming.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier