PHOENIX — The leader of a group that looks at hospital efficiency has an idea what the Veteran’s Administration should be looking for in a new director for its hospital in Phoenix.
Gene Schneller is co-director of the Health Sector Supply Chain Research Consortium, which is a collaborative effort between Arizona State University and hospitals. It looks at how hospitals can boost their performance.
He has some advice for the VA as it looks for a new hospital director. “I think that they need to look for somebody who can deal with the complexity of the environment that they’re in, and to structure care to get the most out of the dollars that they have allocated to them through the Congress,” Schneller said.
He said that the new person needs to have one quality in particular. “I think that the person coming in is going to have to be, first of all, a healer, to make sure that the employees will be behind the kind of changes that need to be done,” Schneller said.
One way that the healing can begin, Schneller said, is to hire a director who won’t point fingers at employees.
“I think you don’t blame the people who have been vilified, to some extent, of doing this, but you need to be able to pull them back in and provide an opportunity to craft innovative kinds of solutions,” he said.
Schneller said that it’s the VA system that needs to be fixed, not just the hospital in Phoenix.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck