MESA, Ariz. — The city of Mesa has a received a large grant from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to cleanup the environment around the new light rail expansion through downtown.
The city received two brownfield assessment grants worth $200,000 each, which Scott Bouchie, the city’s environmental and sustainability deputy director, noted will help take care of many old auto shops and gas stations along East Main Street.
“Properties we see along Main Street are auto-related businesses, whether they’re old gas stations or they’re old muffler shops or those types of things,” he said. “A lot of the properties that we’ll be looking at have old either fuel tanks or old oil tanks or they’ve stored hazardous materials in the past.”
The $400,000 in grant money will go toward inspections and planning the revitalization of these buildings, Bouchie said.
None of the money will go to the purchasing or actual cleanup of the properties.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths