MESA, Ariz. — The city of Mesa has a received a large grant from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to cleanup the environment around the new light rail expansion through downtown.
The city received two brownfield assessment grants worth $200,000 each, which Scott Bouchie, the city’s environmental and sustainability deputy director, noted will help take care of many old auto shops and gas stations along East Main Street.
“Properties we see along Main Street are auto-related businesses, whether they’re old gas stations or they’re old muffler shops or those types of things,” he said. “A lot of the properties that we’ll be looking at have old either fuel tanks or old oil tanks or they’ve stored hazardous materials in the past.”
The $400,000 in grant money will go toward inspections and planning the revitalization of these buildings, Bouchie said.
None of the money will go to the purchasing or actual cleanup of the properties.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon