PHOENIX — Chicago Public Schools, have come under fire for a controversial exam question.
According to WBEZ Chicago, earlier this month seventh grade students in Chicago were given two different passages to read and respond to on the issue of immigration.
One of the passages featured commentary with strong negative views on immigration with comments such as “I dream of a time when we ban all new immigrants,” or “I object to any effort to give rights to anyone who comes here illegally.”
But it’s not the commentary that has brought the passage into the ire of some; it’s the fictional author’s biography underneath the commentary that has caused a public outcry.
The fictional biography said the passage was written for by someone named “Arie Payo.” The pronunciation of which sounds very similar to Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, and when coupled with Arpaio’s strong stance on immigration it begs the question of whether or not the name was created intentionally.
“Come on…pronounce my name and then pronounce that name,” Arpaio said in response to the fictional author’s name.
The district claims the likeness to Arpaio’s name is purely coincidence and they have pulled the question from their database, according to Fox News.
Even though the biography said “Arie Payo” had previously worked as an aide to President Bush’s Immigration Taskforce and featured a photo of an African American, neither of which would represent Arpaio, he said he still believes the name was no coincidence.
“Why didn’t they use my real name?” he said. “Critics can say there was no connection, but come on.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.