PHOENIX — Chicago Public Schools, have come under fire for a controversial exam question.
According to WBEZ Chicago, earlier this month seventh grade students in Chicago were given two different passages to read and respond to on the issue of immigration.
One of the passages featured commentary with strong negative views on immigration with comments such as “I dream of a time when we ban all new immigrants,” or “I object to any effort to give rights to anyone who comes here illegally.”
But it’s not the commentary that has brought the passage into the ire of some; it’s the fictional author’s biography underneath the commentary that has caused a public outcry.
The fictional biography said the passage was written for by someone named “Arie Payo.” The pronunciation of which sounds very similar to Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, and when coupled with Arpaio’s strong stance on immigration it begs the question of whether or not the name was created intentionally.
“Come on…pronounce my name and then pronounce that name,” Arpaio said in response to the fictional author’s name.
The district claims the likeness to Arpaio’s name is purely coincidence and they have pulled the question from their database, according to Fox News.
Even though the biography said “Arie Payo” had previously worked as an aide to President Bush’s Immigration Taskforce and featured a photo of an African American, neither of which would represent Arpaio, he said he still believes the name was no coincidence.
“Why didn’t they use my real name?” he said. “Critics can say there was no connection, but come on.”
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them