PHOENIX — The Arizona Fisher House Foundation (AFHF) made tremendous strides this week in its efforts to raise money for a new Fisher House on the Southern Arizona Veterans Health Care System (SAVAHCS) campus.
The foundation reportedly received a $100,000 donation commitment from the Vantage West Credit Union.
“Vantage West Credit Union has a philosophy of giving back to the communities we serve,” Vantage West Credit Union president and CEO Robert D. Ramirez said. “The Fisher House provides an important service to our military veterans who have done so much for us. We would encourage other local businesses to join Vantage West in supporting this worthy cause.”
Once the AFHF reaches its goal of $3 million, the national Fisher House Foundation plans to match all donations.
The new 16-suite Fisher House will allow military and veterans’ families a place to stay at no cost, while loved ones are being medically treated.
The proposed house will take nine to 12 months to construct, with a groundbreaking expected to take place in late 2014 or early 2015.
Currently, there are 64 Fisher Houses worldwide.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains