More than 10,000 petitions were delivered to the Environmental Protection Agency office in Tempe, Ariz., on Friday. The marchers were demanding clean air protections at the Navajo Generating Station (NGS) near Page.
The 2,250-megawatt generating station is the largest and dirtiest coal plant in the state, according to a Huffington Post piece by Mary Anne Hitt, director of Sierra Club’s Beyond Coal Campaign.
Hitt said Kathy Mohr-Almeida and her daughter Anna are volunteers for the group Arizona Beyond Coal, which wants the EPA to enforce the Clean Air Act protections for the NGS.
The EPA is expected to decide within the next few weeks whether to enforce the Clean Air Act at NGS and require reduced pollution through the retrofit technology. The Clean Air Task Force estimates that pollution from Navajo Generating Station contributes to 16 premature deaths, 25 heart attacks, 300 asthma attacks, and 15 asthma emergency room visits each year, with total annual health costs of more than $127 million.
Kathy Mohr-Almeida claimed the plant also has a negative impact on the air quality around the Grand Canyon. Kathy’s daughter, Anna, 11, said she has many family members and classmates that have breathing difficulties.
Hitt said Anna has even started a nonprofit environmental organization called Kids Climate Action Network (Kids CAN), which aims to includes the youth’s voice in the climate change conversation.
Her mom says Anna is working with renowned climate scientists, community leaders, and others on climate and clean air issues. Anna will also be attending the Sierra Student Coalition summer training program in July.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas