More than 10,000 petitions were delivered to the Environmental Protection Agency office in Tempe, Ariz., on Friday. The marchers were demanding clean air protections at the Navajo Generating Station (NGS) near Page.
The 2,250-megawatt generating station is the largest and dirtiest coal plant in the state, according to a Huffington Post piece by Mary Anne Hitt, director of Sierra Club’s Beyond Coal Campaign.
Hitt said Kathy Mohr-Almeida and her daughter Anna are volunteers for the group Arizona Beyond Coal, which wants the EPA to enforce the Clean Air Act protections for the NGS.
The EPA is expected to decide within the next few weeks whether to enforce the Clean Air Act at NGS and require reduced pollution through the retrofit technology. The Clean Air Task Force estimates that pollution from Navajo Generating Station contributes to 16 premature deaths, 25 heart attacks, 300 asthma attacks, and 15 asthma emergency room visits each year, with total annual health costs of more than $127 million.
Kathy Mohr-Almeida claimed the plant also has a negative impact on the air quality around the Grand Canyon. Kathy’s daughter, Anna, 11, said she has many family members and classmates that have breathing difficulties.
Hitt said Anna has even started a nonprofit environmental organization called Kids Climate Action Network (Kids CAN), which aims to includes the youth’s voice in the climate change conversation.
Her mom says Anna is working with renowned climate scientists, community leaders, and others on climate and clean air issues. Anna will also be attending the Sierra Student Coalition summer training program in July.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food