More than 10,000 petitions were delivered to the Environmental Protection Agency office in Tempe, Ariz., on Friday. The marchers were demanding clean air protections at the Navajo Generating Station (NGS) near Page.
The 2,250-megawatt generating station is the largest and dirtiest coal plant in the state, according to a Huffington Post piece by Mary Anne Hitt, director of Sierra Club’s Beyond Coal Campaign.
Hitt said Kathy Mohr-Almeida and her daughter Anna are volunteers for the group Arizona Beyond Coal, which wants the EPA to enforce the Clean Air Act protections for the NGS.
The EPA is expected to decide within the next few weeks whether to enforce the Clean Air Act at NGS and require reduced pollution through the retrofit technology. The Clean Air Task Force estimates that pollution from Navajo Generating Station contributes to 16 premature deaths, 25 heart attacks, 300 asthma attacks, and 15 asthma emergency room visits each year, with total annual health costs of more than $127 million.
Kathy Mohr-Almeida claimed the plant also has a negative impact on the air quality around the Grand Canyon. Kathy’s daughter, Anna, 11, said she has many family members and classmates that have breathing difficulties.
Hitt said Anna has even started a nonprofit environmental organization called Kids Climate Action Network (Kids CAN), which aims to includes the youth’s voice in the climate change conversation.
Her mom says Anna is working with renowned climate scientists, community leaders, and others on climate and clean air issues. Anna will also be attending the Sierra Student Coalition summer training program in July.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development