PHOENIX — The American Red Cross responded to a fire at a Phoenix apartment complex early Sunday morning that left several residents in need of shelter.
The Red Cross Grand Canyon Chapter was called to the scene around 3 a.m. near Indian School Road and 26th Avenue — close to Interstate 17.
Todd Tamcsin of the Grand Canyon Chapter said five adults and nine children were displaced due to the fire.
Red Cross volunteers are in the process of evaluating the displaced residents’ needs, Tamcsin said.
Phoenix Fire Department spokesman Ruben Saavedra said the fire started in a
third-floor unit of the three-story building and one person was trapped.
Saavedra said firefighters were able to get that person out.
Crews were able to get everyone out safely without injury.
Saavedra said the cause of the blaze is still under investigation.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas