PHOENIX — On Monday, Mesa city leaders will announce the kick off of the 8th Annual Mesa Hydration Donation Campaign.
The goal is to work with nonprofits, businesses and the community to collect bottles of water in order to keep the homeless hydrated this summer.
“It really is a life-saving mission,” said Kevin Christopher, spokesman for the City of Mesa. “We can never get enough of it. Unfortunately, there’s always a need, so that’s why we are asking for the community’s help.”
The donated bottles of water are then distributed through the United Food Bank to numerous agencies in the Valley, including A New Leaf-East Valley Men’s Center, Paz de Cristo, Saint Vincent de Paul and Central Arizona Shelter Services (CASS).
The effort started in 2007, a particularly deadly summer, when nearly three dozen homeless people died from heat-related causes.
For more information on drop-off locations, click here.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier