PHOENIX — “How much is that doggie in the window?” This weekend, he’s free!
The nation’s largest free pet adoption event is May 31 and June 1, and in Maricopa County, 12 animal rescue groups are offering free dogs and cats at over 40 locations. Some of the participating organizations include the Arizona Animal Welfare League, HALO Animal Rescue, Maricopa Animal Care and Control, Arizona Humane Society and the Phoenix Animal Care Coalition.
Bretta Nelson, spokesperson for the Arizona Humane Society, says summer is the toughest time for shelters and rescue groups.
“It’s kitten season right now, so we are just overflowing with kittens, and of course, the litters of puppies increase, as well,” she said.
All pets available this weekend are spayed or neutered and up-to-date with vaccinations. Some pets will also have microchips.
By waiving all adoption fees, the ultimate goal is to place 10,000 homeless pets across the country with loving families in just one weekend. Certain Valley rescue groups, however, will also require an interview process before taking home a new pet, in addition to the standard paperwork.
The event is part of Maddie’s Pet Adoption Days, inspired by a miniature Schnauzer named Maddie who brought her family so much joy and love. Maggie’s Fund seeks to achieve a no-kill nation by providing solutions and aid.
This is the first year Arizona has been asked to participate. A portion of donations will also go toward Arizona’s “Fix. Adopt. Save.” campaign.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier