PHOENIX — “How much is that doggie in the window?” This weekend, he’s free!
The nation’s largest free pet adoption event is May 31 and June 1, and in Maricopa County, 12 animal rescue groups are offering free dogs and cats at over 40 locations. Some of the participating organizations include the Arizona Animal Welfare League, HALO Animal Rescue, Maricopa Animal Care and Control, Arizona Humane Society and the Phoenix Animal Care Coalition.
Bretta Nelson, spokesperson for the Arizona Humane Society, says summer is the toughest time for shelters and rescue groups.
“It’s kitten season right now, so we are just overflowing with kittens, and of course, the litters of puppies increase, as well,” she said.
All pets available this weekend are spayed or neutered and up-to-date with vaccinations. Some pets will also have microchips.
By waiving all adoption fees, the ultimate goal is to place 10,000 homeless pets across the country with loving families in just one weekend. Certain Valley rescue groups, however, will also require an interview process before taking home a new pet, in addition to the standard paperwork.
The event is part of Maddie’s Pet Adoption Days, inspired by a miniature Schnauzer named Maddie who brought her family so much joy and love. Maggie’s Fund seeks to achieve a no-kill nation by providing solutions and aid.
This is the first year Arizona has been asked to participate. A portion of donations will also go toward Arizona’s “Fix. Adopt. Save.” campaign.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development