PHOENIX — Arizona emergency personnel were in the North Valley on Friday to encourage parents to set aside time to talk to children about safety.
Phoenix police, firefighters and others showed up at Desert Ridge Marketplace to talk to shoppers about child safety. They were there to promote the Take 25 program, which encourages parents to pledge to take 25 minutes to discuss safety with kids.
“It can encompass crossing the streets or working with adults,” said Cosme Lopez, a community outreach specialist with the U.S. Attorney’s Office. “They can tell kids that if they’re uncomfortable about a nearby adult, they can go tell their parents, teachers or a law enforcement agent.”
While some kids stayed cool by playing in some nearby fountains, others were getting fingerprinted and had a DNA sample taken.
Karla Delore is glad she brought her kids here.
“I do have three boys, and it’s just my husband and I,” she said. “Sometimes, it’s easy to lose one of the kids in the mix when we’re in a crowded public place, so it gives extra piece of mind that there’s an extra security measure for them. Also, I think it’s good for my kids to see that we’re looking out for them, rhat law enforcement’s looking out for them and taking care of them to look out for their best interests.”
Over 800,000 children are reported missing each year in America. The FBI said that over 500,000 were abducted last year alone.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon