PHOENIX — Arizona emergency personnel were in the North Valley on Friday to encourage parents to set aside time to talk to children about safety.
Phoenix police, firefighters and others showed up at Desert Ridge Marketplace to talk to shoppers about child safety. They were there to promote the Take 25 program, which encourages parents to pledge to take 25 minutes to discuss safety with kids.
“It can encompass crossing the streets or working with adults,” said Cosme Lopez, a community outreach specialist with the U.S. Attorney’s Office. “They can tell kids that if they’re uncomfortable about a nearby adult, they can go tell their parents, teachers or a law enforcement agent.”
While some kids stayed cool by playing in some nearby fountains, others were getting fingerprinted and had a DNA sample taken.
Karla Delore is glad she brought her kids here.
“I do have three boys, and it’s just my husband and I,” she said. “Sometimes, it’s easy to lose one of the kids in the mix when we’re in a crowded public place, so it gives extra piece of mind that there’s an extra security measure for them. Also, I think it’s good for my kids to see that we’re looking out for them, rhat law enforcement’s looking out for them and taking care of them to look out for their best interests.”
Over 800,000 children are reported missing each year in America. The FBI said that over 500,000 were abducted last year alone.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America