PHOENIX — An internal police memo obtained by KTAR intimated that a tribal officer killed over the holiday weekend may have been ambushed.
Officer Jair Cabrera, a seven-year veteran of the Salt River Police Department, was gunned down while conducting a traffic stop in the early morning hours on May 24, near Pima and Chaparral in Scottsdale.
Since his death, 92.3 KTAR obtained a copy of an internal department memorandum disseminated to all police officers.
The memorandum suggests Cabrera was ambushed.
“Initial investigation shows that Officer Cabrera may have been baited into making the traffic stop on the suspect vehicle. Prior to the stop the suspect vehicle flashed its bright lights and turned its headlamps on/off several times while facing Officer Cabrera’s vehicle at a stop sign.
The suspects, according the memo are believed to be associates or members of a gang. Many of the gang members have been indicted and convicted of numerous violent crimes, including the attempted murder of another law enforcement officer.
Detectives are exploring the possibility that Cabrera’s tragic death could have been ordered by a powerful prison gang considered a “security threat group” by the Arizona Department of Corrections.
While detectives declined to comment on the situation, the memo stated after a gang member was shot and killed, prison group leaders began discussions of using the incident “to push for assaults against law enforcement officers.”
While no specific threats or targets have been identified, officers are being warned “to use extreme caution.”
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas