PHOENIX — An internal police memo obtained by KTAR intimated that a tribal officer killed over the holiday weekend may have been ambushed.
Officer Jair Cabrera, a seven-year veteran of the Salt River Police Department, was gunned down while conducting a traffic stop in the early morning hours on May 24, near Pima and Chaparral in Scottsdale.
Since his death, 92.3 KTAR obtained a copy of an internal department memorandum disseminated to all police officers.
The memorandum suggests Cabrera was ambushed.
“Initial investigation shows that Officer Cabrera may have been baited into making the traffic stop on the suspect vehicle. Prior to the stop the suspect vehicle flashed its bright lights and turned its headlamps on/off several times while facing Officer Cabrera’s vehicle at a stop sign.
The suspects, according the memo are believed to be associates or members of a gang. Many of the gang members have been indicted and convicted of numerous violent crimes, including the attempted murder of another law enforcement officer.
Detectives are exploring the possibility that Cabrera’s tragic death could have been ordered by a powerful prison gang considered a “security threat group” by the Arizona Department of Corrections.
While detectives declined to comment on the situation, the memo stated after a gang member was shot and killed, prison group leaders began discussions of using the incident “to push for assaults against law enforcement officers.”
While no specific threats or targets have been identified, officers are being warned “to use extreme caution.”
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development