PHOENIX — U.S. Rep. Matt Salmon (R-Ariz.) will meet Saturday with a Marine who has been jailed in Mexico on weapons charges for two months.
According to the Los Angeles Times, 25-year-old Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi was arrested April 1 after taking a wrong turn into Mexico while driving from Florida to San Diego.
“It is a terrible mistake,” Salmon said.
Tahmooressi had served two tours in Afghanistan and suffered from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. He opted for the move to seek treatment.
While driving to San Diego, he made a wrong turn, something Salmon described as “very common.” That’s when things went south.
“He crossed over the border not knowing it and was apprehended by Mexican law enforcement officials,” said Salmon.
Tahmooressi told officials he was moving and had all of his possessions with him, including three firearms. He claimed it was his first time crossing the border, though Mexican officials claim they have video of him doing so at least one other time.
He was originally jailed near Tijuana, one with a reputation for tough treatment.
“I’ve heard reports that they kept him chained to a gurney for weeks at a time,” said Salmon. “That’s just reprehensible.”
Salmon added he could not confirm the reports of abuse.
Salmon, who heads the Western Hemisphere Subcommittee on Foreign Affairs, will meet with Tahmooressi and Mexican and American officials in an attempt to bring the veteran home.
“He has PTSD, he needs to be treated, he needs to be back with his loved ones and he’s not a criminal,” said Salmon.
A petition asking President Barack Obama to demand Tahmooressi’s release was filed on the White House website.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development