PHOENIX — U.S. Rep. Matt Salmon (R-Ariz.) will meet Saturday with a Marine who has been jailed in Mexico on weapons charges for two months.
According to the Los Angeles Times, 25-year-old Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi was arrested April 1 after taking a wrong turn into Mexico while driving from Florida to San Diego.
“It is a terrible mistake,” Salmon said.
Tahmooressi had served two tours in Afghanistan and suffered from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. He opted for the move to seek treatment.
While driving to San Diego, he made a wrong turn, something Salmon described as “very common.” That’s when things went south.
“He crossed over the border not knowing it and was apprehended by Mexican law enforcement officials,” said Salmon.
Tahmooressi told officials he was moving and had all of his possessions with him, including three firearms. He claimed it was his first time crossing the border, though Mexican officials claim they have video of him doing so at least one other time.
He was originally jailed near Tijuana, one with a reputation for tough treatment.
“I’ve heard reports that they kept him chained to a gurney for weeks at a time,” said Salmon. “That’s just reprehensible.”
Salmon added he could not confirm the reports of abuse.
Salmon, who heads the Western Hemisphere Subcommittee on Foreign Affairs, will meet with Tahmooressi and Mexican and American officials in an attempt to bring the veteran home.
“He has PTSD, he needs to be treated, he needs to be back with his loved ones and he’s not a criminal,” said Salmon.
A petition asking President Barack Obama to demand Tahmooressi’s release was filed on the White House website.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.