PHOENIX — U.S. Rep. Matt Salmon (R-Ariz.) will meet Saturday with a Marine who has been jailed in Mexico on weapons charges for two months.
According to the Los Angeles Times, 25-year-old Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi was arrested April 1 after taking a wrong turn into Mexico while driving from Florida to San Diego.
“It is a terrible mistake,” Salmon said.
Tahmooressi had served two tours in Afghanistan and suffered from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. He opted for the move to seek treatment.
While driving to San Diego, he made a wrong turn, something Salmon described as “very common.” That’s when things went south.
“He crossed over the border not knowing it and was apprehended by Mexican law enforcement officials,” said Salmon.
Tahmooressi told officials he was moving and had all of his possessions with him, including three firearms. He claimed it was his first time crossing the border, though Mexican officials claim they have video of him doing so at least one other time.
He was originally jailed near Tijuana, one with a reputation for tough treatment.
“I’ve heard reports that they kept him chained to a gurney for weeks at a time,” said Salmon. “That’s just reprehensible.”
Salmon added he could not confirm the reports of abuse.
Salmon, who heads the Western Hemisphere Subcommittee on Foreign Affairs, will meet with Tahmooressi and Mexican and American officials in an attempt to bring the veteran home.
“He has PTSD, he needs to be treated, he needs to be back with his loved ones and he’s not a criminal,” said Salmon.
A petition asking President Barack Obama to demand Tahmooressi’s release was filed on the White House website.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick