PHOENIX — A new agency that’s designed to protect Arizona’s children now exists, thanks to a special session in the state Legislature.
The director of that agency is determined to make it a success.
Just after signing the bill on Thursday that created the new Arizona Department of Child Safety, Gov. Jan Brewer officially hired former Juvenile Corrections Director Charles Flanagan to head the department. DCS replaces Child Protective Services, which the governor abolished for failing to investigate thousands of possible child abuse cases.
Flanagan said the state made a lot of mistakes in the past when it comes to protecting children.
“We have not responded when we should have, we have not removed children when we should have, and we have not removed children when we shouldn’t have,” he said.
Flanagan said his goal is to make sure the new department doesn’t make the same errors.
“I hope that, through our efforts, we will be successful,” he said. “But I am resolved that we will be (successful) if it is the last thing that I do on the face of this earth.”
Flanagan said his goal is to have DCS working on every one of the thousands of cases that CPS failed to investigate by the time Brewer’s term ends.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments