PHOENIX — A new agency that’s designed to protect Arizona’s children now exists, thanks to a special session in the state Legislature.
The director of that agency is determined to make it a success.
Just after signing the bill on Thursday that created the new Arizona Department of Child Safety, Gov. Jan Brewer officially hired former Juvenile Corrections Director Charles Flanagan to head the department. DCS replaces Child Protective Services, which the governor abolished for failing to investigate thousands of possible child abuse cases.
Flanagan said the state made a lot of mistakes in the past when it comes to protecting children.
“We have not responded when we should have, we have not removed children when we should have, and we have not removed children when we shouldn’t have,” he said.
Flanagan said his goal is to make sure the new department doesn’t make the same errors.
“I hope that, through our efforts, we will be successful,” he said. “But I am resolved that we will be (successful) if it is the last thing that I do on the face of this earth.”
Flanagan said his goal is to have DCS working on every one of the thousands of cases that CPS failed to investigate by the time Brewer’s term ends.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy