It’s the first year of a 15-year agreement between the Phoenix Coyotes and the City of Glendale.
So far, the deal is bringing in fewer dollars than Glendale expected.
The latest projections are that Glendale will get $4.4 million in arena and parking revenues this year. That’s far less than the $6.6 million that had been expected.
“We expected a lot more non-hockey events which hasn’t occurred yet, ” said Councilman Gary Sherwood. “We also thought we’d do a little bit better in parking.
Sherwood said that the owners of the Coyotes are attempting to find solutions and are having talks with Global Spectrum, which runs the arena.
He blames part of the parking revenue problem on the Arizona Cardinals. This is the first year that Coyotes fans have had to pay $10 to park at arena parking lots. The Cardinals have opened up a parking lot for Coyotes fans at University of Phoenix stadium that charges about half that.
“They were undercutting some of the prime parking,” said Sherwood. “It’s no secret that we have to ‘further the relationship’ between the Cardinals and the city.”
Sherwood suggested that Glendale block off a street that gives fans access to the Cardinals parking lot. He later claimed that he said that with “tongue in cheek.”
Fans also choose to park in other lots at the Westgate City Center.
“I think we are working quite a bit with Westgate over the last few months to try to get those parking spots where customers can park for free,” Sherwood said.
“(We’re working to) come up with some arrangement there to help us on the parking revenue.”
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development