It’s the first year of a 15-year agreement between the Phoenix Coyotes and the City of Glendale.
So far, the deal is bringing in fewer dollars than Glendale expected.
The latest projections are that Glendale will get $4.4 million in arena and parking revenues this year. That’s far less than the $6.6 million that had been expected.
“We expected a lot more non-hockey events which hasn’t occurred yet, ” said Councilman Gary Sherwood. “We also thought we’d do a little bit better in parking.
Sherwood said that the owners of the Coyotes are attempting to find solutions and are having talks with Global Spectrum, which runs the arena.
He blames part of the parking revenue problem on the Arizona Cardinals. This is the first year that Coyotes fans have had to pay $10 to park at arena parking lots. The Cardinals have opened up a parking lot for Coyotes fans at University of Phoenix stadium that charges about half that.
“They were undercutting some of the prime parking,” said Sherwood. “It’s no secret that we have to ‘further the relationship’ between the Cardinals and the city.”
Sherwood suggested that Glendale block off a street that gives fans access to the Cardinals parking lot. He later claimed that he said that with “tongue in cheek.”
Fans also choose to park in other lots at the Westgate City Center.
“I think we are working quite a bit with Westgate over the last few months to try to get those parking spots where customers can park for free,” Sherwood said.
“(We’re working to) come up with some arrangement there to help us on the parking revenue.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food