PHOENIX — One year after an ambitious elementary school principal decided to transform a struggling school, she reported Thursday great strides had been made.
Tracy Yslas of the Eisenhower Center for Innovation in Mesa said a big part of the change has to do with the implementation of technology.
“It is having an impact,” she said. “As teachers continue to grow and kids become more creative in how they use them in their learning, we’ll definitely see more of an impact.”
At the end of the 2012-2013 school year, the elementary school was failing. In fact, Eisenhower had some of the lowest AIMS scores in the state.
The school needed change as many of the children, who are mostly from impoverished households, struggled with reading and math. The district allocated over $500,000 from the innovation programs budget to the school.
The funds were invested in new technology, including a pilot program which gives every child the opportunity to use an iPad during the school day. In addition, Yslas hired new teachers pump new life into the school.
The plan seems to be working. The children appear to be eager, motivated to learn and they’re happier.
“It’s hard to measure the progress at this time, but we are making progress,” said Yslas.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon