PHOENIX — One year after an ambitious elementary school principal decided to transform a struggling school, she reported Thursday great strides had been made.
Tracy Yslas of the Eisenhower Center for Innovation in Mesa said a big part of the change has to do with the implementation of technology.
“It is having an impact,” she said. “As teachers continue to grow and kids become more creative in how they use them in their learning, we’ll definitely see more of an impact.”
At the end of the 2012-2013 school year, the elementary school was failing. In fact, Eisenhower had some of the lowest AIMS scores in the state.
The school needed change as many of the children, who are mostly from impoverished households, struggled with reading and math. The district allocated over $500,000 from the innovation programs budget to the school.
The funds were invested in new technology, including a pilot program which gives every child the opportunity to use an iPad during the school day. In addition, Yslas hired new teachers pump new life into the school.
The plan seems to be working. The children appear to be eager, motivated to learn and they’re happier.
“It’s hard to measure the progress at this time, but we are making progress,” said Yslas.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night