PHOENIX — Your windshield washer fluid could kill you.
Arizona State University Ph.D student Otto Schwake discovered the bacteria responsible for Legionnaires’ Disease thrives in the cleaning fluid while testing a fleet of school buses in Maricopa County.
“Eighty percent of the buses we sampled were positive,” said Schwake. “We’ve almost a billion legionella in just one bus, so the numbers and positives are a lot higher than I thought they would be.”
Schwake said he started the project after reading results of epidemiology studies which credibly links vehicles and Legionnaires’ Disease.
Legionella, the bacteria that leads to Legionnaires’ Disease, is a water-born pathogen. If it is turned into a mist or vapor and inhaled a person could contract a potentially deadly form of pneumonia.
Parents should not panic about allowing their children onto school buses, the level of risk has not changed and the research is in its infancy.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again