PHOENIX — Phoenix performed fairly on a national survey analyzing 60 of the largest U.S. cities for meeting the need for parks in their city.
According to ParkScore , Phoenix ranks at spot 28 followed by Tucson at 42.
Mesa ranked low with only 22 percent of its residents living less than a mile away from a park, and three playgrounds per 10,000 residents.
Phoenix performed better with 14 parks per 10,000 residents with Tucson at a close 18.
ParkScore uses an advanced GIS (Geographic Information System) to identify how many people are able to reach a park within a 10-minute walk.
The analysis also considered median park size, population, parkland as percent of city area, and the amount of spending per resident.
At the top of the list was Minneapolis and New York, with 38 and 40 percent of its residents close to parks, respectively.
Last on the list were Louisville and Fresno with 4 and 16 percent, respectively.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development