PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio swore in 23 deputies and two Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community police officers in a graduation ceremony Thursday.
The first class in five years will provide an additional 70 patrol deputies in Maricopa County.
More than 1,300 men and women applied for positions after the 2014 recruitment for deputy sheriff was announced late last year.
Arpaio was grateful for the number of applicants he received.
“Clearly those interested in a law enforcement career recognize the professionalism of the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office,” he said.
The new hires will bring the MCSO staff to a total of 529 deputy sheriffs with 24 more positions left to fill.
More deputies are to be hired soon, Arpaio said.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments