PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio swore in 23 deputies and two Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community police officers in a graduation ceremony Thursday.
The first class in five years will provide an additional 70 patrol deputies in Maricopa County.
More than 1,300 men and women applied for positions after the 2014 recruitment for deputy sheriff was announced late last year.
Arpaio was grateful for the number of applicants he received.
“Clearly those interested in a law enforcement career recognize the professionalism of the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office,” he said.
The new hires will bring the MCSO staff to a total of 529 deputy sheriffs with 24 more positions left to fill.
More deputies are to be hired soon, Arpaio said.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them