PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio swore in 23 deputies and two Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community police officers in a graduation ceremony Thursday.
The first class in five years will provide an additional 70 patrol deputies in Maricopa County.
More than 1,300 men and women applied for positions after the 2014 recruitment for deputy sheriff was announced late last year.
Arpaio was grateful for the number of applicants he received.
“Clearly those interested in a law enforcement career recognize the professionalism of the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office,” he said.
The new hires will bring the MCSO staff to a total of 529 deputy sheriffs with 24 more positions left to fill.
More deputies are to be hired soon, Arpaio said.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development