PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio swore in 23 deputies and two Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community police officers in a graduation ceremony Thursday.
The first class in five years will provide an additional 70 patrol deputies in Maricopa County.
More than 1,300 men and women applied for positions after the 2014 recruitment for deputy sheriff was announced late last year.
Arpaio was grateful for the number of applicants he received.
“Clearly those interested in a law enforcement career recognize the professionalism of the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office,” he said.
The new hires will bring the MCSO staff to a total of 529 deputy sheriffs with 24 more positions left to fill.
More deputies are to be hired soon, Arpaio said.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America