PHOENIX — Gov. Jan Brewer signed into law an overhaul of Arizona’s embattled child welfare agency Thursday.
Bills creating a new child welfare agency called the Department of Child Safety
and giving the agency an extra $60 million passed unanimously in the morning.
The bills were backed by Brewer, who was present in the House for the vote.
The Senate first stripped extra cash tacked on a day earlier over
concerns the House would not pass the bill.
Brewer proposed the overhaul after revelations late last year that more than
6,500 abuse and neglect reports were closed without investigation.
Brewer called lawmakers into a special session to enact the overhaul. The
department will have $827 million in total funding.
Brewer originally said she would call the session in late April after at least five child welfare supervisors were fired following a four-month investigation.
In a statement, Brewer said the safety of Arizona children is one of her most important priorities and an issue that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. A report from the Arizona Department of Public Safety increased the urgency even more.
KTAR’s Bob McClay and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night