PHOENIX — Gov. Jan Brewer signed into law an overhaul of Arizona’s embattled child welfare agency Thursday.
Bills creating a new child welfare agency called the Department of Child Safety
and giving the agency an extra $60 million passed unanimously in the morning.
The bills were backed by Brewer, who was present in the House for the vote.
The Senate first stripped extra cash tacked on a day earlier over
concerns the House would not pass the bill.
Brewer proposed the overhaul after revelations late last year that more than
6,500 abuse and neglect reports were closed without investigation.
Brewer called lawmakers into a special session to enact the overhaul. The
department will have $827 million in total funding.
Brewer originally said she would call the session in late April after at least five child welfare supervisors were fired following a four-month investigation.
In a statement, Brewer said the safety of Arizona children is one of her most important priorities and an issue that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. A report from the Arizona Department of Public Safety increased the urgency even more.
KTAR’s Bob McClay and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier