PHOENIX — The deadline to file the signatures to run for office in Arizona has passed, setting the stage for the August political primaries.
Valley political analyst Stan Barnes said the August primary for governor is a dream for politicos. There are seven Republicans in the mix: Arizona Sen. Al Melvin of Tucson, State Treasurer Doug Ducey, former Congressman Frank Riggs, former Mesa Mayor Scott Smith, Secretary of State Ken Bennett, former Go Daddy executive Christine Jones and former Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas.
“The top tier appears to be Smith, Bennett, Ducey and Jones. The others have challenges and could fade in the next few weeks,” Barnes said.
Former Bill Clinton staffer and Arizona Board of Regents Chairman Fred Duval is the only candidate in the Democratic primary for governor.
Barnes is looking forward to wide-open congressional races and said the Republican Party will pump big money into the state to capture those seats.
“The Barber, Kirkpatrick and Simema districts are all held by Democrats and all are vulnerable. I give Sinema a slight edge to keep her seat in District 9 because of funding and name recognition.
“In District 2 Ron Barber is really in trouble and insiders believe that Republican Martha McSally will beat him in November and Ann Kirkpatrick only wins District 1 if there’s a high voter turnout in her district and that’s not expected to happen.”
Barnes predicted a nasty campaign season.
“There’s going to be bare-knuckle advertisements, it will be very difficult for some of these candidates to face accusations, old skeletons and smear tactics,” he said.
“… You can allege almost anything and deny it later. It’s not the golden age for politics and you have to have an incredibly thick skin and strong desire to be in the game.”
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development