PHOENIX — The deadline to file the signatures to run for office in Arizona has passed, setting the stage for the August political primaries.
Valley political analyst Stan Barnes said the August primary for governor is a dream for politicos. There are seven Republicans in the mix: Arizona Sen. Al Melvin of Tucson, State Treasurer Doug Ducey, former Congressman Frank Riggs, former Mesa Mayor Scott Smith, Secretary of State Ken Bennett, former Go Daddy executive Christine Jones and former Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas.
“The top tier appears to be Smith, Bennett, Ducey and Jones. The others have challenges and could fade in the next few weeks,” Barnes said.
Former Bill Clinton staffer and Arizona Board of Regents Chairman Fred Duval is the only candidate in the Democratic primary for governor.
Barnes is looking forward to wide-open congressional races and said the Republican Party will pump big money into the state to capture those seats.
“The Barber, Kirkpatrick and Simema districts are all held by Democrats and all are vulnerable. I give Sinema a slight edge to keep her seat in District 9 because of funding and name recognition.
“In District 2 Ron Barber is really in trouble and insiders believe that Republican Martha McSally will beat him in November and Ann Kirkpatrick only wins District 1 if there’s a high voter turnout in her district and that’s not expected to happen.”
Barnes predicted a nasty campaign season.
“There’s going to be bare-knuckle advertisements, it will be very difficult for some of these candidates to face accusations, old skeletons and smear tactics,” he said.
“… You can allege almost anything and deny it later. It’s not the golden age for politics and you have to have an incredibly thick skin and strong desire to be in the game.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier