PHOENIX — The deadline to file the signatures to run for office in Arizona has passed, setting the stage for the August political primaries.
Valley political analyst Stan Barnes said the August primary for governor is a dream for politicos. There are seven Republicans in the mix: Arizona Sen. Al Melvin of Tucson, State Treasurer Doug Ducey, former Congressman Frank Riggs, former Mesa Mayor Scott Smith, Secretary of State Ken Bennett, former Go Daddy executive Christine Jones and former Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas.
“The top tier appears to be Smith, Bennett, Ducey and Jones. The others have challenges and could fade in the next few weeks,” Barnes said.
Former Bill Clinton staffer and Arizona Board of Regents Chairman Fred Duval is the only candidate in the Democratic primary for governor.
Barnes is looking forward to wide-open congressional races and said the Republican Party will pump big money into the state to capture those seats.
“The Barber, Kirkpatrick and Simema districts are all held by Democrats and all are vulnerable. I give Sinema a slight edge to keep her seat in District 9 because of funding and name recognition.
“In District 2 Ron Barber is really in trouble and insiders believe that Republican Martha McSally will beat him in November and Ann Kirkpatrick only wins District 1 if there’s a high voter turnout in her district and that’s not expected to happen.”
Barnes predicted a nasty campaign season.
“There’s going to be bare-knuckle advertisements, it will be very difficult for some of these candidates to face accusations, old skeletons and smear tactics,” he said.
“… You can allege almost anything and deny it later. It’s not the golden age for politics and you have to have an incredibly thick skin and strong desire to be in the game.”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets