PHOENIX — A wrong-way driver is dead after an SUV crashed into a box truck in Mesa Wednesday.
MCSO Lt. Brandon Jones said the collision happened on University Drive near 67th Street.
“A Jeep Liberty occupied by two (people) were traveling eastbound on University when (the Jeep) crossed over into westbound traffic,” Jones explained. “(The Jeep) eventually struck a Budget rental truck.”
There were three people inside the truck and all suffered minor injuries.
The driver of the Jeep, 53-year-old Kenneth Jerger, was killed, while the passenger is being treated for minor injuries.
Jones said he doesn’t know how long Jerger was going the wrong way before the crash, and they don’t know if he was under the influence.
“Can’t rule out impairment at this point, (but) because (Jerger) has passed away, we need to wait for toxicology reports,” Jones said.”
MCSO did say that deputies were called out to Jerger’s home earlier in the day in reference to a domestic situation but offered no other details.
University is currently closed near 67th Avenue.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier