PHOENIX — A wrong-way driver is dead after an SUV crashed into a box truck in Mesa Wednesday.
MCSO Lt. Brandon Jones said the collision happened on University Drive near 67th Street.
“A Jeep Liberty occupied by two (people) were traveling eastbound on University when (the Jeep) crossed over into westbound traffic,” Jones explained. “(The Jeep) eventually struck a Budget rental truck.”
There were three people inside the truck and all suffered minor injuries.
The driver of the Jeep, 53-year-old Kenneth Jerger, was killed, while the passenger is being treated for minor injuries.
Jones said he doesn’t know how long Jerger was going the wrong way before the crash, and they don’t know if he was under the influence.
“Can’t rule out impairment at this point, (but) because (Jerger) has passed away, we need to wait for toxicology reports,” Jones said.”
MCSO did say that deputies were called out to Jerger’s home earlier in the day in reference to a domestic situation but offered no other details.
University is currently closed near 67th Avenue.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development