PHOENIX — One Arizona wine is going to be distributed in the Land Down Under.
Pillsbury Wine Company grows grapes about 200 miles southeast of Phoenix in the deserts of Cochise County.
“I planted Shiraz grapes in the Arizona desert, because I figured they would like that climate and in fact, they did,” said Sam Pillsbury, Pillsbury Wine Company owner and winemaker.
Arizona’s dry climate and high altitude in that area affect the aroma, color and flavor of the Shiraz grapes, he said.
“I made wine from these grapes and then brought them back to Australia,” said Pillsbury, a New Zealand emigrant who has spent most of his life as an accomplished film director.
Pillsbury said he held his breath as he poured an Australian grape — which he had actually grown in Arizona — for Australian wine critics.
“They all let out exclamations of astonishment and they seemed to be very impressed,” he said.
Now that Arizona wine will be enjoyed in Australia, a gamble to grow grapes in the Arizona desert seems to have paid off.
The winery planted the first vines on the Arizona Willcox Bench in 2000. Today, the winery has 30 planted acres of Syrah, Mourvedre, Grenache, Petite Sirah, Viognier, Chardonnay and Pinot Grigio, among others.
Pillsbury Wine Company produces more than 3,000 cases of wine annually.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon