PHOENIX — One Arizona wine is going to be distributed in the Land Down Under.
Pillsbury Wine Company grows grapes about 200 miles southeast of Phoenix in the deserts of Cochise County.
“I planted Shiraz grapes in the Arizona desert, because I figured they would like that climate and in fact, they did,” said Sam Pillsbury, Pillsbury Wine Company owner and winemaker.
Arizona’s dry climate and high altitude in that area affect the aroma, color and flavor of the Shiraz grapes, he said.
“I made wine from these grapes and then brought them back to Australia,” said Pillsbury, a New Zealand emigrant who has spent most of his life as an accomplished film director.
Pillsbury said he held his breath as he poured an Australian grape — which he had actually grown in Arizona — for Australian wine critics.
“They all let out exclamations of astonishment and they seemed to be very impressed,” he said.
Now that Arizona wine will be enjoyed in Australia, a gamble to grow grapes in the Arizona desert seems to have paid off.
The winery planted the first vines on the Arizona Willcox Bench in 2000. Today, the winery has 30 planted acres of Syrah, Mourvedre, Grenache, Petite Sirah, Viognier, Chardonnay and Pinot Grigio, among others.
Pillsbury Wine Company produces more than 3,000 cases of wine annually.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier