PHOENIX — One Arizona wine is going to be distributed in the Land Down Under.
Pillsbury Wine Company grows grapes about 200 miles southeast of Phoenix in the deserts of Cochise County.
“I planted Shiraz grapes in the Arizona desert, because I figured they would like that climate and in fact, they did,” said Sam Pillsbury, Pillsbury Wine Company owner and winemaker.
Arizona’s dry climate and high altitude in that area affect the aroma, color and flavor of the Shiraz grapes, he said.
“I made wine from these grapes and then brought them back to Australia,” said Pillsbury, a New Zealand emigrant who has spent most of his life as an accomplished film director.
Pillsbury said he held his breath as he poured an Australian grape — which he had actually grown in Arizona — for Australian wine critics.
“They all let out exclamations of astonishment and they seemed to be very impressed,” he said.
Now that Arizona wine will be enjoyed in Australia, a gamble to grow grapes in the Arizona desert seems to have paid off.
The winery planted the first vines on the Arizona Willcox Bench in 2000. Today, the winery has 30 planted acres of Syrah, Mourvedre, Grenache, Petite Sirah, Viognier, Chardonnay and Pinot Grigio, among others.
Pillsbury Wine Company produces more than 3,000 cases of wine annually.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes