PHOENIX — One man who is hoping for approval on a new child welfare service in Arizona is Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery.
He said, as far back as 2003, Child Protective Services was a mess.
“Efforts were not enough to change the culture and underscore the focus, which is intervening as soon as possible and providing preventive services so that cases don’t escalate to a point where you have criminal conduct allegations involved,” he said. “Where you have to remove a child because the environment is no longer safe for them.”
Montgomery said he’s proud to have been a part of the team that helped come up with the plan for the Department of Child Safety.
“What is being provided for the Legislature’s consideration represents the best of everybody working hard in the best interests of Arizona’s children.”
Montgomery said he hopes the new department will mean his department will no longer have to investigate certain kinds of cases.
“I’d prefer if we never got another cases where a child has been killed and there’s been previous interaction with the child welfare system,” he said.
The Arizona Legislature is expected to vote Thursday on whether to approve Gov. Jan Brewer’s proposed Department of Child Safety. It would replace Child Protective Services, which Brewer abolished last year after it failed to investigate thousands of possible child abuse cases.
The plan received initial approval on Wednesday.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development