PHOENIX — One man who is hoping for approval on a new child welfare service in Arizona is Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery.
He said, as far back as 2003, Child Protective Services was a mess.
“Efforts were not enough to change the culture and underscore the focus, which is intervening as soon as possible and providing preventive services so that cases don’t escalate to a point where you have criminal conduct allegations involved,” he said. “Where you have to remove a child because the environment is no longer safe for them.”
Montgomery said he’s proud to have been a part of the team that helped come up with the plan for the Department of Child Safety.
“What is being provided for the Legislature’s consideration represents the best of everybody working hard in the best interests of Arizona’s children.”
Montgomery said he hopes the new department will mean his department will no longer have to investigate certain kinds of cases.
“I’d prefer if we never got another cases where a child has been killed and there’s been previous interaction with the child welfare system,” he said.
The Arizona Legislature is expected to vote Thursday on whether to approve Gov. Jan Brewer’s proposed Department of Child Safety. It would replace Child Protective Services, which Brewer abolished last year after it failed to investigate thousands of possible child abuse cases.
The plan received initial approval on Wednesday.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets