PHOENIX — An Avondale police officer has been arrested for driving under the influence, police said Wednesday.
Tempe Police Sgt. Mike Pooley said they received numerous 911 calls at approximately 12:45 p.m. about an Avondale police vehicle being driven erratically.
“One caller stated that the vehicle was actually on Broadway driving the wrong way,” he said. “[He] came into the parking lot and ultimately hit a curb, a raised median, in the parking lot and a fire hydrant, where the car was disabled.”
When Tempe officers responded, they found 37-year-old Matthew Hoffman, an Avondale police officer with the animal control unit, behind the wheel.
“Our officers noticed signs of impairment and they immediately conducted a DUI investigation and ultimately ended up arresting him for DUI,” Pooley said.
Hoffman was in full uniform and in Tempe on official city business.
Pooley added that Avondale Police has been notified and the department will also be conducting an administrative review.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon