PHOENIX — An Avondale police officer has been arrested for driving under the influence, police said Wednesday.
Tempe Police Sgt. Mike Pooley said they received numerous 911 calls at approximately 12:45 p.m. about an Avondale police vehicle being driven erratically.
“One caller stated that the vehicle was actually on Broadway driving the wrong way,” he said. “[He] came into the parking lot and ultimately hit a curb, a raised median, in the parking lot and a fire hydrant, where the car was disabled.”
When Tempe officers responded, they found 37-year-old Matthew Hoffman, an Avondale police officer with the animal control unit, behind the wheel.
“Our officers noticed signs of impairment and they immediately conducted a DUI investigation and ultimately ended up arresting him for DUI,” Pooley said.
Hoffman was in full uniform and in Tempe on official city business.
Pooley added that Avondale Police has been notified and the department will also be conducting an administrative review.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments