PHOENIX — The Maricopa County Attorney’s Office is investigating items that were found in the home of a deputy who took his own life.
Over 900 hours of videos of over 2,000 traffic stops were found in April after Deputy Ramon Charley Armendariz reported a burglary at his home. No evidence of a burglary was found, but officers did the find the videos as well as thousands of driver’s licenses and other items.
Armendariz committed suicide a week later.
Court records show that Armendariz may have been “shaking down” immigrants during the traffic stops. County Attorney Bill Montgomery said he has not seen any of the videos, but knows one of them does not support what the records claim.
Montgomery said the video makes it clear Armendariz’s car was parked in such a way that he could not see the driver.
“There’s no way that he could have known the race, ethnicity, or sex of the driver unless he actually got up to the vehicle and had contact with the driver,” he said.
Montgomery wants to know if any of the videos may have an impact on any criminal cases.
“With the individuals who are the subjects of those traffic stops, if we have to go through and try to figure out who they are, that could be very time consuming,” he said. “My expectation would be that law enforcement would try to identify who those folks are.”
Montgomery said that MCSO is cooperating with the investigation. Montogomery also said that his office is checking to see if any names on the licenses found at Armendariz’s home match those found in any court records.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns