PHOENIX — The Maricopa County Attorney’s Office is investigating items that were found in the home of a deputy who took his own life.
Over 900 hours of videos of over 2,000 traffic stops were found in April after Deputy Ramon Charley Armendariz reported a burglary at his home. No evidence of a burglary was found, but officers did the find the videos as well as thousands of driver’s licenses and other items.
Armendariz committed suicide a week later.
Court records show that Armendariz may have been “shaking down” immigrants during the traffic stops. County Attorney Bill Montgomery said he has not seen any of the videos, but knows one of them does not support what the records claim.
Montgomery said the video makes it clear Armendariz’s car was parked in such a way that he could not see the driver.
“There’s no way that he could have known the race, ethnicity, or sex of the driver unless he actually got up to the vehicle and had contact with the driver,” he said.
Montgomery wants to know if any of the videos may have an impact on any criminal cases.
“With the individuals who are the subjects of those traffic stops, if we have to go through and try to figure out who they are, that could be very time consuming,” he said. “My expectation would be that law enforcement would try to identify who those folks are.”
Montgomery said that MCSO is cooperating with the investigation. Montogomery also said that his office is checking to see if any names on the licenses found at Armendariz’s home match those found in any court records.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food