PHOENIX — Arizona Rep. Kyrsten Sinema says she is shocked at what she learned from the interim report on the Phoenix VA Health Care System.
Sinema encouraged health care providers in the Valley to offer services to VA to make sure all veterans at risk have timely access to quality care.
“The Phoenix VA managers responsible for this unconscionable behavior should be fired. Most importantly, the VA must take swift action to provide immediate access to appropriate care for the 3,100 Arizona veterans awaiting care,” she said in a release.
Sinema said the average wait time for a first primary care appointment was unacceptable and putting veterans at risk.
“When I saw these numbers of veterans who had been deliberately left out of the scheduling system and the unconscionably long delays in getting first appointments, I was horrified,” she said.
She is also calling for VA Secretary Eric Shinseki’s resignation.
The VA report also discovered several accusations of harassment and abuse by managers.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer Contributed to this report.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food