PHOENIX — Arizona Rep. Kyrsten Sinema says she is shocked at what she learned from the interim report on the Phoenix VA Health Care System.
Sinema encouraged health care providers in the Valley to offer services to VA to make sure all veterans at risk have timely access to quality care.
“The Phoenix VA managers responsible for this unconscionable behavior should be fired. Most importantly, the VA must take swift action to provide immediate access to appropriate care for the 3,100 Arizona veterans awaiting care,” she said in a release.
Sinema said the average wait time for a first primary care appointment was unacceptable and putting veterans at risk.
“When I saw these numbers of veterans who had been deliberately left out of the scheduling system and the unconscionably long delays in getting first appointments, I was horrified,” she said.
She is also calling for VA Secretary Eric Shinseki’s resignation.
The VA report also discovered several accusations of harassment and abuse by managers.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer Contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier