PHOENIX — Arizona Rep. Kyrsten Sinema says she is shocked at what she learned from the interim report on the Phoenix VA Health Care System.
Sinema encouraged health care providers in the Valley to offer services to VA to make sure all veterans at risk have timely access to quality care.
“The Phoenix VA managers responsible for this unconscionable behavior should be fired. Most importantly, the VA must take swift action to provide immediate access to appropriate care for the 3,100 Arizona veterans awaiting care,” she said in a release.
Sinema said the average wait time for a first primary care appointment was unacceptable and putting veterans at risk.
“When I saw these numbers of veterans who had been deliberately left out of the scheduling system and the unconscionably long delays in getting first appointments, I was horrified,” she said.
She is also calling for VA Secretary Eric Shinseki’s resignation.
The VA report also discovered several accusations of harassment and abuse by managers.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer Contributed to this report.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes