PHOENIX — An Arizona Department of Corrections officer will not be facing prosecution for cruelty to animals.
The Maricopa County Attorney’s Office will not press charges against Officer Jesse Dorantes, who left his service dog, Ike, unattended in a hot SUV in April.
The dog died after spending seven hours in the vehicle, which was parked at the Arizona State Prison Complex-Lewis in Buckeye.
Dorantes said he forgot the dog was in the SUV. He had left work early that day in his personal car to go and care for his son, who was sick.
Maricopa County Attorney has decided not to prosecute because there is little chance that Dorantes would be convicted. He said he came to that conclusion after reviewing a 2007 case involving Chandler police officer Thomas Lovejoy and his police dog, Bandit.
Lovejoy was charged with animal cruelty for leaving the dog in his car for over 13 hours. The dog died, but Lovejoy was acquitted in that case.
“We have even less favorable evidence now than what was presented in that previous matter,” Montgomery said.
An investigative report by the Department of Corrections found that Dorantes eventually remembered that he left Ike in the SUV and called his boss to check on the dog. Ike was found dead in the vehicle, in which temperatures reached 98 degrees. The report said that Dorantes has taken full responsibilities for his actions and has showed remorse because of the death.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer and the KTAR Newsroom contributed to this report.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development