PHOENIX — The city of Prescott, Ariz., will be able to spend more money on its Fourth of July celebration this year.
That’s thanks to a donation from a national cable television network.
The Destination America channel has a promotion called “Red, White and You.”
“We look across America for a deserving town,” said the network’s general manager, Marc Etkind. “People write in to nominate their favorite town, and we give that town a Fourth of July celebration.”
Etkind said Destination America received several letters that nominated Prescott because it is still trying to recover from last year’s Yarnell Hill Fire. Nineteen members of the Granite Mountain Hotshots died battling the blaze.
Prescott is one of two towns that will get a donation. The other is Hamtramck, Mich., which has had economic hard times for several years.
Because of the donation, Hamtramck will be able to have a Fourth of July celebration for the first time in 30 years.
Prescott Deputy City Manager Alison Zelms said that her city will put the money to good use.
“We are looking to enhance the musical entertainment and provide a greater array of entertainment for those who come out to the fireworks display,” she said.
Zelms said she is not yet able to announce which musical acts will be performing.
Prescott’s July Fourth celebration at Pioneer Park will also feature amusement rides. Admission is free, but there will be a charge to go on the rides.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food