PHOENIX — The city of Prescott, Ariz., will be able to spend more money on its Fourth of July celebration this year.
That’s thanks to a donation from a national cable television network.
The Destination America channel has a promotion called “Red, White and You.”
“We look across America for a deserving town,” said the network’s general manager, Marc Etkind. “People write in to nominate their favorite town, and we give that town a Fourth of July celebration.”
Etkind said Destination America received several letters that nominated Prescott because it is still trying to recover from last year’s Yarnell Hill Fire. Nineteen members of the Granite Mountain Hotshots died battling the blaze.
Prescott is one of two towns that will get a donation. The other is Hamtramck, Mich., which has had economic hard times for several years.
Because of the donation, Hamtramck will be able to have a Fourth of July celebration for the first time in 30 years.
Prescott Deputy City Manager Alison Zelms said that her city will put the money to good use.
“We are looking to enhance the musical entertainment and provide a greater array of entertainment for those who come out to the fireworks display,” she said.
Zelms said she is not yet able to announce which musical acts will be performing.
Prescott’s July Fourth celebration at Pioneer Park will also feature amusement rides. Admission is free, but there will be a charge to go on the rides.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier