PHOENIX — One of Arizona’s top golf destinations is undergoing a major upgrade.
Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club in Maricopa, Ariz., began a $2 million renovation project Tuesday that will involve major changes to the course’s bunker play.
“Just like the roof on a house or a hot water heater in your house, at a certain point you have to replace those, and bunkers are the same way,” said Brady Wilson, the course’s general manager.
Some of those changes will include drainage repair and maintenance, as well as replacing all the sand in the bunkers so that they are consistent, Wilson said.
Wilson said the renovations will be completed in increments, beginning with the first nine holes — so that golfers can still continue to play on the course’s back nine.
“So we still have play out there. They’re playing the back nine; they’re just playing the back nine twice or three times,” Wilson said. “We kind of offer it as unlimited golf: Come down and play the back nine as many times as you want.”
In mid-July, the front nine renovations will be complete, Wilson said, and then the back nine will undergo repairs, at which point players will have play the front nine exclusively.
Wilson said he expects the project to be completed by early September.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl