PHOENIX — One of Arizona’s top golf destinations is undergoing a major upgrade.
Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club in Maricopa, Ariz., began a $2 million renovation project Tuesday that will involve major changes to the course’s bunker play.
“Just like the roof on a house or a hot water heater in your house, at a certain point you have to replace those, and bunkers are the same way,” said Brady Wilson, the course’s general manager.
Some of those changes will include drainage repair and maintenance, as well as replacing all the sand in the bunkers so that they are consistent, Wilson said.
Wilson said the renovations will be completed in increments, beginning with the first nine holes — so that golfers can still continue to play on the course’s back nine.
“So we still have play out there. They’re playing the back nine; they’re just playing the back nine twice or three times,” Wilson said. “We kind of offer it as unlimited golf: Come down and play the back nine as many times as you want.”
In mid-July, the front nine renovations will be complete, Wilson said, and then the back nine will undergo repairs, at which point players will have play the front nine exclusively.
Wilson said he expects the project to be completed by early September.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets