The construction industry in Arizona, especially in greater Phoenix, has been hit hard recently.
The Phoenix Business Journal reports the Associated General Contractors of America (AGCA) said Arizona lost 2,200 construction jobs between March and April, more than half of which were in the Valley.
Arizona tied with Minnesota for the fourth-most jobs lost in the nation over that period. The losses also caused a 1.8 percent dip in employment month-over-month.
The struggling home-building sector was largely to blame for the job freeze, Ken Simonson, chief economist for AGCA, told the Business Journal.
New home permits Valleywide, for instance, were down again year-over-year in April by almost 16 percent despite a modest bump from March, according to RL Brown Reports.
Brand new construction projects, including home building, has seen employment drop at a rate of 7 percent year-over-year.
Simonson said the construction industry is highly cyclical and that it’s more important to look at employment on a year-over-year basis, meaning it’s too early to write off the sector already.
Despite the March-to-April decline, Arizona construction employment still was up a modest 600 jobs, or 0.5 percent, from a year ago, according to AGCA, which uses the latest data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Arizona was among 39 states in April that posted increases in year-over-year construction employment.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon