Phoenix continues to make moves to try to attract potential residents to its downtown area.
The Phoenix Business Journal reports a $75 million luxury condominium project is coming to the heart of the city. Habitat Metro announced it will begin construction on Phase 2 of the project later this year.
The new project, called Portland on the Park because of its location between Portland Park and Margaret T. Hance Park bordering Central Avenue, is expected to be completed in 2016. The project will have 170 units in 4-story, 12-story and 14-story towers with condo prices ranging from the low $200,000s to roughly $1 million. Homes range from 745 square feet to 2,381 square feet.
Davis Architecture designed the first phase, winning the Golden Nugget Award for the best multifamily project in the West for its design.
The development will include space on its first floor for commercial retail.
Tim Sprague, principal of Habitat Metro, said there is a unique struggle for the building to blend in with the surrounding neighborhood.
“You probably have a few more challenges because you’re going into an existing neighborhood, but on the other hand, you are able to compliment the neighborhood,” Sprague told the Business Journal.
While demand for condos was wiped out during the recession and slow to recover after it, Sprague said he is confident the market is back.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier