Phoenix continues to make moves to try to attract potential residents to its downtown area.
The Phoenix Business Journal reports a $75 million luxury condominium project is coming to the heart of the city. Habitat Metro announced it will begin construction on Phase 2 of the project later this year.
The new project, called Portland on the Park because of its location between Portland Park and Margaret T. Hance Park bordering Central Avenue, is expected to be completed in 2016. The project will have 170 units in 4-story, 12-story and 14-story towers with condo prices ranging from the low $200,000s to roughly $1 million. Homes range from 745 square feet to 2,381 square feet.
Davis Architecture designed the first phase, winning the Golden Nugget Award for the best multifamily project in the West for its design.
The development will include space on its first floor for commercial retail.
Tim Sprague, principal of Habitat Metro, said there is a unique struggle for the building to blend in with the surrounding neighborhood.
“You probably have a few more challenges because you’re going into an existing neighborhood, but on the other hand, you are able to compliment the neighborhood,” Sprague told the Business Journal.
While demand for condos was wiped out during the recession and slow to recover after it, Sprague said he is confident the market is back.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night