PHOENIX — An 18-month-old boy is dead after being shot in the head at his home in Payson, Ariz., on Tuesday afternoon. Authorities are investigating it as an apparent accidental shooting.
Payson police said they received several calls about a child with a head injury at an apartment complex at 303 S. Ash St. around 12:10 p.m.
They said the 18-month-old was playing with his 3-year-old brother when they found a gun inside their apartment.
Police said the weapon discharged and the younger boy was struck in the head.
The wounded boy was transported to a local hospital, where he was later found dead, police said. His name wasn’t immediately released.
Police said the two boys and their mother were visiting a 78-year-old family
friend at an apartment in the same complex in which they reside.
The mother and friend heard a gunshot and went to a back bedroom in the
apartment, where they found the wounded toddler.
Police said detectives are serving a search warrant at the apartment as part of
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development