PHOENIX — An 18-month-old boy is dead after being shot in the head at his home in Payson, Ariz., on Tuesday afternoon. Authorities are investigating it as an apparent accidental shooting.
Payson police said they received several calls about a child with a head injury at an apartment complex at 303 S. Ash St. around 12:10 p.m.
They said the 18-month-old was playing with his 3-year-old brother when they found a gun inside their apartment.
Police said the weapon discharged and the younger boy was struck in the head.
The wounded boy was transported to a local hospital, where he was later found dead, police said. His name wasn’t immediately released.
Police said the two boys and their mother were visiting a 78-year-old family
friend at an apartment in the same complex in which they reside.
The mother and friend heard a gunshot and went to a back bedroom in the
apartment, where they found the wounded toddler.
Police said detectives are serving a search warrant at the apartment as part of
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food