PHOENIX — An 18-month-old boy is dead after being shot in the head at his home in Payson, Ariz., on Tuesday afternoon. Authorities are investigating it as an apparent accidental shooting.
Payson police said they received several calls about a child with a head injury at an apartment complex at 303 S. Ash St. around 12:10 p.m.
They said the 18-month-old was playing with his 3-year-old brother when they found a gun inside their apartment.
Police said the weapon discharged and the younger boy was struck in the head.
The wounded boy was transported to a local hospital, where he was later found dead, police said. His name wasn’t immediately released.
Police said the two boys and their mother were visiting a 78-year-old family
friend at an apartment in the same complex in which they reside.
The mother and friend heard a gunshot and went to a back bedroom in the
apartment, where they found the wounded toddler.
Police said detectives are serving a search warrant at the apartment as part of
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night