PHOENIX — An 18-month-old boy is dead after being shot in the head at his home in Payson, Ariz., on Tuesday afternoon. Authorities are investigating it as an apparent accidental shooting.
Payson police said they received several calls about a child with a head injury at an apartment complex at 303 S. Ash St. around 12:10 p.m.
They said the 18-month-old was playing with his 3-year-old brother when they found a gun inside their apartment.
Police said the weapon discharged and the younger boy was struck in the head.
The wounded boy was transported to a local hospital, where he was later found dead, police said. His name wasn’t immediately released.
Police said the two boys and their mother were visiting a 78-year-old family
friend at an apartment in the same complex in which they reside.
The mother and friend heard a gunshot and went to a back bedroom in the
apartment, where they found the wounded toddler.
Police said detectives are serving a search warrant at the apartment as part of
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America