PHOENIX — Several Phoenix middle school students began the trip of a lifetime Tuesday to meet their pen pals who live thousands of miles away.
“I’m so excited for them,” said Kadi Angeli, a counselor at Sonoran Trails Middle School. “My hope for every child who studies a foreign language is that it will broaden their horizon. I hope this trip shows them how big the world is and what opportunities exist for them out there.”
Six students, along with the school’s principal, are visiting China for two weeks. Sonoran Trails started their current sister school program with the help of the Dept. of State and two grants. The school’s first relationship is with No. 6 Middle School in Yichang, Hubei Province in 2012.
Since establishing the relationship, the children have kept in touch via email, letters and videos.
The visit will be the first for either school.
The goal is to expand the current program to allow for more Sonoran Trails students who are not only studying Mandarin, but French and Spanish, to have the opportunity to be immersed in the culture.
On this trip — paid for by each student’s parents — they’ll visit historic sights in cities like Beijing and Xi’an before meeting with their Chinese peers at the school.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night