PHOENIX — Firefighters are gaining the upper hand on the Slide Fire near Sedona, Ariz., but climate experts are warning of more potential danger ahead.
Arizona State University climatologist Randy Cerveny said the canyon is one of the deepest and steepest in the state. Much of the brush and trees on the hillsides has now burned off and, once the monsoon arrives, it brings a new set of problems.
“Water simply goes straight down that canyon,” he said. “The water cascades and brings the mud with it. You can get mudslides and landslides. It becomes a secondary disaster zone.”
After the fire is out, rehabilitation teams will move into the canyon to shore up areas that could be flood-prone with straw and other measures.
Cerveny said he’s concerned about Oak Creek, which could be packed with ash and brush from the runoff.
“The Arizona Department of Environmental Quality will probably have to monitor the water quality that’s going through there.”
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths