PHOENIX — Firefighters are gaining the upper hand on the Slide Fire near Sedona, Ariz., but climate experts are warning of more potential danger ahead.
Arizona State University climatologist Randy Cerveny said the canyon is one of the deepest and steepest in the state. Much of the brush and trees on the hillsides has now burned off and, once the monsoon arrives, it brings a new set of problems.
“Water simply goes straight down that canyon,” he said. “The water cascades and brings the mud with it. You can get mudslides and landslides. It becomes a secondary disaster zone.”
After the fire is out, rehabilitation teams will move into the canyon to shore up areas that could be flood-prone with straw and other measures.
Cerveny said he’s concerned about Oak Creek, which could be packed with ash and brush from the runoff.
“The Arizona Department of Environmental Quality will probably have to monitor the water quality that’s going through there.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development