PHOENIX — The Maricopa County Community College District Governing Board will hold a public hearing Wednesday on a proposed 2 percent property tax increase that would raise some $8.4 million.
The increase would raise taxes by $2.51 on a $100,000 home.
“The district needs the money to improve student success,” said Tom Gariepy, director of marketing and communications for the MCCCD. “To improve the possibility that the students who come here will not only stay in school, but will graduate with their degrees and move on to do whatever it is they came here to accomplish.”
If the tax hike is approved, it won’t be the only thing going up in price.
“The governing board has approved a proposal to increase tuition by $3 a credit hour,” said Gariepy.
That means that the district’s 260,000 students will now pay $84 a credit hour. Gariepy said that tuition only covers about a third of the district’s expenses.
The public hearing starts at 6:30 p.m. at the district headquarters, which is located at 2411 W. 14th Street in Tempe.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas