PHOENIX — As city council members discuss changes to parking meter rates and hours, the Phoenix Street Transportation Department is gathering public input.
Commuters, residents and business leaders are asked to give their two cents about a variable pricing plan for parking.
Currently, it costs $1.50 per hour for metered parking in downtown Phoenix, but leaders are considering changing rates based on demand. During slow periods, the rate could be as low as 50 cents per hour, while busier periods could cost $6 per hour.
Council members are also considering extending enforcement hours to include weeknights and weekends. According to Acting Street Transportation Director Ray Dovalina, their research shows Phoenix has the shortest enforcement hours among big cities and the $1.50 hourly rate is also on the low end.
According to a city council report, the Street Transportation Department collected about $1.65 million in parking meter payments during the 2012-2013 fiscal year, resulting in $1 million in net revenue. Based on preliminary estimates, the department thinks a variable rate plan and longer enforcement could generate an extra $1 to $2 million per year.
Expansion would require as many as 640 new meters that could accept credit cards and adjust to rate changes, four new workers to enforce longer hours and one manager to oversee the program.
On Wednesday, two open houses will take place:
• 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. at Arizona Commerce Authority, First Floor Reception Room, 333 N. Central Ave.
• 2 – 4 p.m. at Downtown Phoenix Ambassador’s Office, First Floor, 101 N. First Ave.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America