PHOENIX — As city council members discuss changes to parking meter rates and hours, the Phoenix Street Transportation Department is gathering public input.
Commuters, residents and business leaders are asked to give their two cents about a variable pricing plan for parking.
Currently, it costs $1.50 per hour for metered parking in downtown Phoenix, but leaders are considering changing rates based on demand. During slow periods, the rate could be as low as 50 cents per hour, while busier periods could cost $6 per hour.
Council members are also considering extending enforcement hours to include weeknights and weekends. According to Acting Street Transportation Director Ray Dovalina, their research shows Phoenix has the shortest enforcement hours among big cities and the $1.50 hourly rate is also on the low end.
According to a city council report, the Street Transportation Department collected about $1.65 million in parking meter payments during the 2012-2013 fiscal year, resulting in $1 million in net revenue. Based on preliminary estimates, the department thinks a variable rate plan and longer enforcement could generate an extra $1 to $2 million per year.
Expansion would require as many as 640 new meters that could accept credit cards and adjust to rate changes, four new workers to enforce longer hours and one manager to oversee the program.
On Wednesday, two open houses will take place:
• 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. at Arizona Commerce Authority, First Floor Reception Room, 333 N. Central Ave.
• 2 – 4 p.m. at Downtown Phoenix Ambassador’s Office, First Floor, 101 N. First Ave.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy