PHOENIX — As state lawmakers prepare for Tuesday’s special session to overhaul the department formerly known as Child Protective Services, we found a Valley business trying to help Arizona’s vulnerable families.
“We’ve been in Mesa for over 40 years now and I grew up in Mesa as well,” said Jack Barz, co-owner of Organ Stop Pizza. “And every summer we give back a little to some of the local folks in the area that could really use our help and acknowledgement”.
On Saturday, Organ Stop will hold a Musical Hero Luncheon and give the public to learn about the Child Crisis Center in Mesa. Since opening in 1981, the center has provided safe shelter to more than 13,000 children, most of them homeless or coming from domestic violence situations.
“They also have a tremendous family resource center and a lot of people don’t know that they can actually go and get free parenting classes and help on how to raise their kids if they’re having difficulties,” said Barz.
For $5 and a gift for a child up to age 11, Organ Stop will provide all the salad, pizza and soda you want, plus live organ music. Gifts can be bottles, sippy cups, diapers, DVDs, toys, blankets and clothes. Or you can skip the gift and buy a $10 ticket with $5 going to the Child Crisis Center. For more information, go to organstoppizza.com
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets