PHOENIX — As state lawmakers prepare for Tuesday’s special session to overhaul the department formerly known as Child Protective Services, we found a Valley business trying to help Arizona’s vulnerable families.
“We’ve been in Mesa for over 40 years now and I grew up in Mesa as well,” said Jack Barz, co-owner of Organ Stop Pizza. “And every summer we give back a little to some of the local folks in the area that could really use our help and acknowledgement”.
On Saturday, Organ Stop will hold a Musical Hero Luncheon and give the public to learn about the Child Crisis Center in Mesa. Since opening in 1981, the center has provided safe shelter to more than 13,000 children, most of them homeless or coming from domestic violence situations.
“They also have a tremendous family resource center and a lot of people don’t know that they can actually go and get free parenting classes and help on how to raise their kids if they’re having difficulties,” said Barz.
For $5 and a gift for a child up to age 11, Organ Stop will provide all the salad, pizza and soda you want, plus live organ music. Gifts can be bottles, sippy cups, diapers, DVDs, toys, blankets and clothes. Or you can skip the gift and buy a $10 ticket with $5 going to the Child Crisis Center. For more information, go to organstoppizza.com
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development