PHOENIX — Three people are injured after a driver going the wrong way hit a guardrail and then a pickup truck late Saturday night near New River, Ariz.
The wrong-way crash happened in the northbound lanes of Interstate 17 before midnight.
Department of Public Safety spokesman Bart Graves said that two men in their 20s were in the Jeep Cherokee that was traveling the wrong direction. The driver was flown to a hospital with serious injuries, including broken bones, while the passenger had minor head injuries.
Graves said DPS officers first got the call around 11:20 p.m. and they were the first to respond to the area. The Jeep had gone southbound for at least three miles before hitting the white pickup truck.
A man in his 50s was inside the other vehicle, and he suffered a broken leg and other non-life-threatening injuries.
DPS later said all victims had been released from hospitals by 7 a.m.
This is the fourth crash caused by a wrong-way driver on a Valley freeway in the last two weeks — but the first of the four to not involve any fatalities.
Graves also said that officers are conducting a criminal investigation into whether impairment was a factor in Saturday’s crash. They did not release the identities of anybody involved in the collision.
DPS closed down the northbound I-17 lanes in the area for about two hours after discovering the crash, Graves said.
New River is about 35 miles north of Phoenix.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon