PHOENIX — Three people are injured after a driver going the wrong way hit a guardrail and then a pickup truck late Saturday night near New River, Ariz.
The wrong-way crash happened in the northbound lanes of Interstate 17 before midnight.
Department of Public Safety spokesman Bart Graves said that two men in their 20s were in the Jeep Cherokee that was traveling the wrong direction. The driver was flown to a hospital with serious injuries, including broken bones, while the passenger had minor head injuries.
Graves said DPS officers first got the call around 11:20 p.m. and they were the first to respond to the area. The Jeep had gone southbound for at least three miles before hitting the white pickup truck.
A man in his 50s was inside the other vehicle, and he suffered a broken leg and other non-life-threatening injuries.
DPS later said all victims had been released from hospitals by 7 a.m.
This is the fourth crash caused by a wrong-way driver on a Valley freeway in the last two weeks — but the first of the four to not involve any fatalities.
Graves also said that officers are conducting a criminal investigation into whether impairment was a factor in Saturday’s crash. They did not release the identities of anybody involved in the collision.
DPS closed down the northbound I-17 lanes in the area for about two hours after discovering the crash, Graves said.
New River is about 35 miles north of Phoenix.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas