A Salt River officer was shot Saturday morning after making an early morning traffic stop in Scottsdale.
He died at a nearby hospital, officials announced.
The Salt River Police Department said the injured officer was making a 3 a.m. traffic stop near Pima and Chaparral Road in Scottsdale when shots were fired.
The FBI, who is assisting in the investigation, said in a briefing that three people were inside the car at the time of the shooting. Two of the suspects are in custody while one remains at large. It is not yet known what role that suspect played in the shooting, but he is not considered dangerous, FBI spokesman Perryn Collier said.
The name of the deceased officer will not be released until next-of-kin notifications are completed.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier