PHOENIX — The city of Phoenix is hosting its’ first-ever Star Spangled Celebration, starting at 5:00 p.m. Friday afternoon at Cesar Chavez Park.
It’s designed as a party that will also honor veterans, and Phoenix police and firefighters who have fallen in the line of duty.
“We’re going to have a water zone where kids can be sprayed by firefighters,” said Phoenix City Councilman Michael Nowakowski. “We’re going to have jumping castles, food, hot dogs, and live entertainment.”
There will be a special area to honor those killed in the line of duty.
“We’re calling it ‘Hero Lane,'” said Nowakowski. “We have seven foot tall banners (that honor the heroes). They’re on all of the light poles.”
At 8:00 p.m., there will be a special ceremony.
“We’re going to have some family members give testimonies about their loved ones that have passed away,” Nowakowski said. “And then we’re going to have these lanterns. People can actually write different people’s names on them that have fallen, and we’re going to lay them near the lake.”
They will be in place there during a special fireworks show that starts at 9:00 p.m.
The event will be going on from 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. this evening at the park, which is located near 35th Ave. and Baseline Road.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon