The Slide Fire near Sedona, Ariz. is interrupting a lot of travelers’ plans for the Memorial Day weekend.
Nathan and Mickella Westerfield were recently married and decided to camp near Flagstaff for their honeymoon. They were some of the people evacuated when the fire began to burn out of control and had to leave everything behind.
The couple was cleared to return to the area and take their things.
“It is just camping gear and stuff like that, but it still was all of our wedding money and we still do want it back,” Nathan told Karie Dozer of News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob & Karie.
— KTAR's Karie Dozer (@kariedozer) May 23, 2014
After being evacuated, the couple was taken to stay at a Red Cross center.
“They were so good to us,” said Mickella. “It was like being home again.”
“I love everyone here,” Nathan added. “They were so kind, so generous.”
But that wasn’t the end of the Westerfield’s trip. Sinagua Middle School Principal Tari Popham put the couple up in a local Marriott, which in turn got them a free meal at Lumberyard Brewery.
“Everybody recognized us,” said Nathan. “Everyone was stopping and making sure if we were OK. It was great. Everyone here is fantastic.”
Mickella even made a friend. The only other woman with her name in Arizona lives in Flagstaff and the pair found they had a lot in common. The new friend even offered the couple help in finding a place to live and jobs in Flagstaff if they decide to move there.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development