The Slide Fire near Sedona, Ariz. is interrupting a lot of travelers’ plans for the Memorial Day weekend.
Nathan and Mickella Westerfield were recently married and decided to camp near Flagstaff for their honeymoon. They were some of the people evacuated when the fire began to burn out of control and had to leave everything behind.
The couple was cleared to return to the area and take their things.
“It is just camping gear and stuff like that, but it still was all of our wedding money and we still do want it back,” Nathan told Karie Dozer of News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob & Karie.
— KTAR's Karie Dozer (@kariedozer) May 23, 2014
After being evacuated, the couple was taken to stay at a Red Cross center.
“They were so good to us,” said Mickella. “It was like being home again.”
“I love everyone here,” Nathan added. “They were so kind, so generous.”
But that wasn’t the end of the Westerfield’s trip. Sinagua Middle School Principal Tari Popham put the couple up in a local Marriott, which in turn got them a free meal at Lumberyard Brewery.
“Everybody recognized us,” said Nathan. “Everyone was stopping and making sure if we were OK. It was great. Everyone here is fantastic.”
Mickella even made a friend. The only other woman with her name in Arizona lives in Flagstaff and the pair found they had a lot in common. The new friend even offered the couple help in finding a place to live and jobs in Flagstaff if they decide to move there.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.